Friday, August 11, 2006

Flipping Bob Dylan

Call me ignorant, call me uncouth, call me a fool, call me what you like but I just can't stand flipping Bob Dylan.

I know it's been said before (by many a wise person I must add) but the man just can't sing! How has he sold so many albums? I'm told that the words of his songs are 'explosive' 'timeless' yadda yadda yadda - if I could get past his drawling whiny voice perhaps I would agree but the sound of him sliding his voice up a few pitches in what really is glorified talking actually makes me writhe in agony.

The combination of that and the cheesy folk music is just too much. All credit to the guy for persuading people that his 'music' is worth investing in but surely he is sitting at home chuckling saying to himself 'and they didn't even notice I can't sing - suckers'. 'Oh no' says Chris from Coldplay, 'he can sing, he just chooses not to' - whatever.

Yes music boffins, I'm sure his songs have had a huge influence on bands and musicians I enjoy listening to - so excuse me while I take the flipping Blonde On Blonde CD out of the stereo, hide it in a plant pot and replace it with a CD by one of those bands, who can actually hold and tune and sing without wailing. Thank you very much.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 pm, Blogger Martin said...

Hmmmm, for some reason have never listened to any Bob Dylan to know about this. Happilly, I can now say to anyone who asks that he is not universally aclaimed and I don't have to have it in my collection. Thanks!

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Mel, keep on trying. Listen more. Some music takes work. I'm still trying to see why the Smiths are so highly regarded (the band, that is, not your folks); why when I should be hearing iconoclastic genius, I instead hear moaning toss. But I'm working on it.

So work at Bob Dylan, too. It's worth the effort. You someimes have to suffer for your art, even art appreciation.

Have you got "Blood on the tracks"? Try that one next.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home