Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Goodbye 2006

Well, 2006 was a strange year. When I think of it I kind of tag the last few months of 2005 on to it - that's when we moved to Cambridge, Rich went back to full time education and I changed my job, quite a few times.....

So, you are the honoured readers of one of my few instances of going against the prescribed way of doing things, as my look back at last year is really a look at sept 05 - sept 06.

Job positions I have had:
1) Teaching Assistant at 3 different special needs schools working with children from age 5-18 with a whole range of special needs.
2) Notetaker at Cambridge University taking notes in palaeography lectures.
3) Nursery helper.
4) Interpreter for deaf actor David Sands (winner of best actor at the Remark Film and TV awards) at rehearsels for a play in London.
5) Receptionist for a company called Aveva.
6) Teaching Assistant using sign language for a 6 year old deaf boy.
7) Teaching Assistant for a 10 year old girl with cerebral palsy.
8) Production assistant for the Active hands company.
9) Job focus tutor for Power to work - helping people with mental health problems and learning difficulties to write their CV's and learn basic skills.

New experiences:
1) Going on strike!
2) Being made redundant (not related to going to strike thankfully).
3) Travelling to the other side of the world and seeing the beautiful sights of Australia, New Zealand and Singapore, as well as the very smelly Hong Kong. Holiday blog
4) Paragliding, parasailing, snorkelling with sharks and turtles, scuba diving (well almost), full-day hike on a glacier.
5) Cycling as my main mode of transport.
6) Driving - finally took my test in March.

Worst bits:
1) Mum being diagnosed with bone cancer and everything involved in that.
2) Leaving so many close freinds in Leamington, who I still really miss.
3) Accepting that a job in sign langauge wasn't going to happen at this time of my life.

Best bits:
1) Making new friends and getting to know people in Cambridge.
2) A great few days post Christmas with my Mum, Dad, Brother, Rich and Jo.
3) The barn weekend in Wales.
4) A couple of comedy punting trips - particularly one after a few pints.

Best films - some older some newer:
1) Crash.
2) Serenity.
3) Love Actually.
4) Metropolis.

Best gigs:
1) Beth Orton at the Corn Exchange.
2) The Infidels at Soul Tree.
3) Jem at the Junction.
4) The Delays at the Junction.

Favourite foods/drinks of the last year:
1) Bread (nothing new there).
2) Sherry!
3) Duck pancakes.
4) Mango chutney.

10 Comments:

At 12:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea there had ben so many jobs! Hope you and the Baggy man had a great Xmas and New Year.

 
At 7:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a busy but amazing year you've had!
xxx

 
At 8:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough, we discovered Sherry this year - and absolutely love it! I feel a bit of a fraud drinking it though, as it seems like an old Nan's drink (maybe because my Nan likes to drink it) - but it's soooooo lovely!

Good spot. Also, you've encouraged me to write my 2006 review - so will do that in a bit!

 
At 9:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya mate. In 'new experiences' you missed out 'getting into a fight' !!! haha

 
At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you'd done a few different jobs since moving down here - but didn't realise it was quite that many! Us trainee vicars have caused our wives a fair bit of hassle and upheaval really haven't we?!
Crash was a great film - not so sure I agree with Love Actually though!

 
At 6:16 pm, Blogger Mel said...

Andy - looking forward to reading your review.

Lucy D - you are right - I had forgotten about that one. Now that was an experience I don't want to repeat.

Si - a big proportion of the jobs were temping so it isn't quite as bad as it looks. Yep - you've caused us poor wives considerable hassle, but we'll let you off.

Love Actually - definately a girly film so I'm not surprised you're not keen. I'm not generally a big fan of girly films but this one is a cut above the rest.

 
At 9:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melaynee - is the current job the best so far?!

Crash is great but have to disagree with you on Love Actually (too many people, not enough character). But we all have our girly weaknesses....

NOT THAT BEING GIRLY IS A WEAKNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ax

 
At 9:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Crash? ...finds it a little trite and obvious? (Not to mention not particularly enjoyable to watch.)

Serenity - now that's a good film. Josh Whedon rules!

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger Mel said...

Anna - the current job isn't the best. Interpreting for the play in London was the best. Really interesting and fulfilling job, great bunch of people and a project that I was really excited about. Unfortunately it was only one day every couple of weeks and then it all kind of fell apart because the writer couldn't deliver the scripts in time.

My current job (PA to Vicar/Church Office Coordinator) is the busiest and most stressful of them all, but I think I will enjoy it once I'm a bit more settled and feel like I know what I'm doing, so I'm reserving judgement for now....

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger Anz said...

theatre work is a bit of a problem when the script writer doesn't deliver the scripts on time....!

cannot believe you are drinking sherry! and enjoying it! although not sure when i last drank it to be honest. And duck pancakes are amazing.

must write a review myself actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home