Thursday, December 21, 2006

5 things you probably didn't know about me

I've been tagged by Steve Tilley - see his blog for details of the little game. So here are 5 facts about me....

1) I still have three ‘Christmas Storyteller’ cassettes from when I was about 6 years old. I still listen to them every Christmas and really enjoy them. I still get scared by a couple of the stories and would be reluctant to listen to them if I was in the house on my own. Rich has spent a lot of time these past few weeks transferring them onto CD as the cassettes were dying from so much use – it is one of the best Christmas presents ever.

2) My big brother Rob fell off a cliff when he was 20 and spent a year in Salisbury spinal unit, having dislocated his neck. He was paralysed from the neck down for a long time but gradually regained some movement. He now walks short distances on crutches and uses a wheelchair. Since his accident he has travelled the world, been skiing, bungee jumping and done pretty much anything else adventurous you can think of. He is my hero, and my inspiration to do the exciting things in life.

3) I have written about 400 poems and songs. I started writing them when I was about 12, had my most productive period while I was at Uni and write them occasionally now. The majority of them are pretty rubbish but a good handful are not bad and I would really like to get back into writing them again.

4) I spent 6 weeks of the summer of 2000 in a little village called Ozd in Romania. I went with the Christian charity Oasis, along with 2 other girls. We helped run a number of holiday clubs for children from alcoholic families and taught English to the local village children. I went to Romania again in 2002 to visit the sister church of the church I grew up in and to help with the kindergarten there. The country has a special place in my heart and I would like to go there again soon.

5) I hiccup about 5 times every single day.

I'm going to tag

Si
Lucy
JonPotts
Andy
No pants Pete (I know you read this Pete - it'a about time you put a comment on!)

10 Comments:

At 8:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I've been tagged! Will respond on my site shortly!

:)

 
At 12:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me to!

 
At 9:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good effort! The Rob one was a bit too well-known I think. But I only knew one of the others, so you've done pretty well on the "probably didn't know" front.

But about me being tagged ... the thing is, being a loud-mouth with an over-inflated opinion of my opinions, I tend to blurt out most things I think. So there's probably not a lot anyone won't know about me if they're a good friend. But I'll give it a go...

 
At 4:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,

What a fun idea this is and I have loved reading the orignal times article! very funny!
I think one of the only ones I didn't know about you was the Christmas tapes - never saw those at Warwick...!
Thanks for your message yesterday :o)
Happy Christmas!
Lucy
xxx

 
At 2:00 pm, Blogger Martin said...

Wow, that hiccuping thing is so random.

I must admit, I'm a tad envious about your songwriting.

 
At 9:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete said...

1) I do wear pants.

2) I only cook occasionally with balsamic vinegar.

3) When my parents checked on me one night when young I sat bolt upright shouted “murderers”, lay back down and continued sleeping.

4)I forgot my cufflinks on the day of my wedding.

5) Reason for hating football #1: When in junior school my class played a game where we had to make shapes out of jumpers and then act out how you would use them. I made a football, which I kicked (inaccurately) smashing a vase of flowers. After being ordered to clear it up, I slipped on the puddle of water and put my tooth through my lip adding a puddle of blood to the floor. Note to Joe: not a good idea for a lesson.

I can only think of 2 other blog readers that haven't been tagged, so... Lucy D and my darling wife.

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Mel said...

Nice one Pete. Good to have a comment from you. I knew 2 of those.

 
At 10:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete said...

No. 2 and which other one?

 
At 5:52 pm, Blogger Mel said...

No. 1

 
At 10:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aha, so I have been tagged then. I thought it was only a matter of time. I'll do it on my *new myspace blog* sometime... not now, I'm going to bed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home