Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Personal but not too personal

Reading Anna and Lucy’s thoughts on the Facebook vs Blog discussion has got me thinking about why I haven’t blogged for a while.
I think I have enjoyed the personal but not too personal element of Facebook, verses the deeper personal disclosure of Blogging. There’s just too much effort required on all fronts in the world of Blogs and I’ve opted for the simplicity and shallowness of Facebook instead. Does this mean that I have become shallow? Perhaps, but let me try to explain.

The last month or so has been pretty pants in my neck of the woods. Who in all honesty actually wants to read about that? What could I write about that that is worth anyone else reading? Surely it would just be self-absorbed dirge to anyone but me – stuff to put in a personal journal but not an online one. Why would anyone want to hear me whining on my Blog? Why should I inflict this on people?

Also, when you’re feeling tired and fed-up it’s just too much effort to write something that sounds good enough to put on your Blog. It’s much easier to put a comment on Facebook saying ‘(name) is fed-up’ or ‘(name) is very tired’ and leave it at that. These kind of things in the Facebook world don’t require a response – your friends can read it and move on, or at the most put a comment on your ‘wall’ which says ‘hope you feel better soon’. You’re not asking for any advice or any concern, you’re just saying ‘things are a bit crap, but there we go’.

Can anyone else relate to this or am I talking rubbish?

1 Comments:

At 12:19 pm, Blogger Marcus said...

I think, for me, the appeal of Facebook is its relative 'safety'. Having had my fingers burned in the too-public world of blogging, I like the fact of knowing that what I write on my Facebook profile can only be seen by those that I know and trust.

As you say, it's much less effort and so I feel I can be 'me' a bit more - I don't have to fashion something that I think will be worth reading and as a result I think my Facebook has a bit less spin than my blog might have had!

I guess there are times and seasons for all these things. I'm in private mode just now, but maybe I will feel like popping my head above the parapet again one of these days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home